Monday, February 21, 2011

Tentacles / Rainbow Cake

Kerry . Tara


Kerry: Tentacles - This is completely normal in Japan.

Tara: Rainbow Cake - I promised my daughter, M@ggie, that I would make her a rainbow cake this year for her rainbow themed birthday. I made the cakes the night before her party and put it together in the hour between leaving her Build-a-Bear party and the time guests started arriving at my house. First though, I had to get the food ready and since we've all been sick this past week we didn't really do anything but shop in preparation for the party. So while I cut fruit to make a rainbow fruit platter (tomorrow's pic) and got the other appetizers ready, Josh put up decorations. I used a cake leveler for the first four layers then guests started arriving and started crowding my kitchen. I wanted to start icing it and be done so I quickly eyed the red and orange layers and used a bread knife to level them myself. Apparently, my eyes suck since those two layers are way too big. Oh, well; it tasted good.

3 comments:

Kerry said...

That looks super yummy. I'm glad you finally did a rainbow cake, weren't you looking into doing that for her 1st birthday? Oh, and happy birthday, girlie!!!

Tara said...

Probably. I know for sure I wanted to do it last year but I got too busy. Kerry, you would have been so ashamed of my cake making skills. As you know, I use box mix and pre-made icing because, well, I'm lazy. I started to run out of icing and it was such a mess. I only needed like one big spoonful of it. So I was trying to push around icing to make it look decent. I was pretty ugly. No one knew it was a rainbow cake so I got a bunch of, "It's ok, don't worry."s. As soon as I sliced it open and everyone saw it, I was suddenly a brilliant baker. I'm a "photo fail" for baking and no one realized because I used cheap tricks.

Also, when you live close enough to start coming to my parties, I'm going to be super nervous for you to even see my cakes let alone taste them.

Kerry said...

Don't ever feel bad about using box mixes, I use them too. (Doctored.) And puh-lease, I would never judge your cakes. If you care enough about your kids to make the effort, that gets respect from me.